baslinux - [BL] Sound support?

  • From: David Moberg <davidjohnmoberg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Sound support?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:25:38 -0700 (PDT)

Has anybody successfully gotten an ISA sound board
working in BasicLinux?

http://search.yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:27:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> > If I have installed both xmono and the 16-color vga .tgz file,
>
> Your current Xserver will be whichever of those was installed
> last. When you use installpkg to install an Xserver, it
> automatically makes that Xserver the current Xserver.

Very helpful information, thanks. I installed the 16-color server after
the mono one would not work. I guess I should reinstall the mono one
again, or is there some line I could edit in a configuration file instead?
I could also uninstall the 16-color driver.

I am concerned about accidentally damaging the TTL monitor if I run a VGA
driver - a transistor or something blew (it squealed) on one of my
monitors when I forgot to switch to VGA before loading a Thai VGA font
once. ($2 replacement part fixed it). Therefore xmono sounds safer - I
think it is supposed to work with VGA mono as well as Hercules mono.
Most programs that load VGA drivers are set to first detect whether you
are using a TTL monitor and they give you an error message and won't run.
Some simply crash. Some run but then crash later. Some destroy
monitors (same as using the wrong VGA driver on a color VGA monitor with a
lower refresh rate, I think).

> The X used by BL2 is the standard X from Slackware 7.1 The X packages in
> Slackware 8.1 are *much* larger -- that is one reason why BL2 is based
> on Slackware 7.1, not Slackware 8.1.

What makes them so much larger, anything useful or just decoration?

> > What sorts of things did you leave out
>
> The list of X installation packages (on the BL2 site)
> provides the minimum installation. It does not include
> documentation, extra fonts, the optional XF86Setup utility
> and the programmer's package (for compiling X binaries).

Thanks for going to this effort to make things smaller for us.

If there are more than 2 fonts for X (proportional and fixed) can I delete
the others? (Will programs still work?).

> Your Xserver appears to be working (you see the big X on
> the screen), so don't fiddle with /etc/XF86Config. Your
> only problem seems to be in /root/.xinitrc. Edit it and
> remove *everything*. Just put one word in it:
> -----
> icewm
> -----

But that is all that is in there! I did not edit it at all.

> Then execute "startx"

I think I tried this. startx, also startx icewm, startx -e icewm, initx,
initx -e icewm, etc. I will give this one more try. Then I may remove
one video card and try again. After reinstalling xmono so it is last.
No fun starting with anything standard, of course.

I think I have screen set larger than the monitor size (800 and maybe also
1024 - monitor is 640). Perhaps the Xterm is there but on another part of
the screen that is not visible. (But icewm is not there - no arrow).