baslinux - Re: [BL] Pine and BL2

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pine and BL2
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:17:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, sindi keesan wrote:

> You have not answered my question as to whether Pine can read mail on the
> server (without downloading it) if the server (ISP) does not support IMAP.
> I am guessing it cannot.
>
> I have no interest in using POP mail so I use Pine on the server at my
> bbs, where you can forward spam to spamcop (or filter it with procmail).
> Pine does not let you click on embedded URLs - I forward mail with those
> to a webmail account.

I don't know how to answer your question other than the way I have already
answered it. So far as I know, all mail servers use one of two protocols:
POP3 or IMAP. I've used Pine for both protocols. I never checked
exhaustively whether those servers at which I've used Pine as a popmail
checker also supported IMAP, so I think I just can't answer that question
for lack of data. Some of those servers definitely offerred either POP3
or IMAP access, but whether all of them offerred both, I just don't know.
It sounds like maybe you know of some other protocol (besides POP3 or
IMAP) for handling email. If so, I suggest you name it and maybe someone
else onlist can respond. I doubt I'll be able to, since I have experience
only with POP3 and IMAP.

As for downloading messages, I just had a rather lengthy exchange with
Steven onlist on this topic. So far as I can tell, unless one uses a mail
retrieval agent like fetchmail or BL's equivalent, Pine will not download
messages to the local machine unless you specifically tell it to (by
pressing the "s" key ["save"], one message at a time). Mail remains on
the server by default, and Pine allows you to view and otheriwse manipulate
(e.g., delete) it there.

Pine installed on the local machine will handle URL's: you just have to
specify which URL handler it should use (in its "configuration" screen)
and tell it to highlight selectable items in the email body. It offers
you a sort of multiple choice menu for its configuration.

That's about the best I can do toward answering your questions. If this
doesn't do it, you might try asking someone else who knows Pine and mail
systems.

James

From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:27:31 +0200
Subject: Re: [BL] SWAP problem?

qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > I guess the needed question is, how do I create an entry in /dev?
>
> ------------------------
> mknod /dev/hda8 c 3 8
> ------------------------

'ls -la /dev/hd*" will give good idea how to add
new partition to /dev.
You simply have to increase minor number.

In standard Slack you have /dev/hdax till x=16.

In BL 1.10 there will be till /dev/hda12, because
I found myself too often with "mknod" for /dev/hda9

Chris
From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:33:01 +0200

> Someone also suggested that I look at mpack for encoding binary files
> before sending them. Would it be difficult to write a script to
> automatically encode and attach them to my outgoing mails?

All info you will get is *very* welcome - I have to change in BL 1.x
email SMTP client to sth more useful for international users
(charset-encoding, 8bit mails and MIME for attachements)

Chris
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:00:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, James Miller wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> > You have not answered my question as to whether Pine can read mail on the
> > server (without downloading it) if the server (ISP) does not support IMAP.
> > I am guessing it cannot.
> >
> > I have no interest in using POP mail so I use Pine on the server at my
> > bbs, where you can forward spam to spamcop (or filter it with procmail).
> > Pine does not let you click on embedded URLs - I forward mail with those
> > to a webmail account.

So far as I know, all mail servers use one of two protocols:
> POP3 or IMAP. I've used Pine for both protocols. I never checked
> exhaustively whether those servers at which I've used Pine as a popmail
> checker also supported IMAP, so I think I just can't answer that question
> for lack of data. Some of those servers definitely offerred either POP3
> or IMAP access, but whether all of them offerred both, I just don't know.
> It sounds like maybe you know of some other protocol (besides POP3 or
> IMAP) for handling email. If so, I suggest you name it and maybe someone
> else onlist can respond. I doubt I'll be able to, since I have experience
> only with POP3 and IMAP.

My ISP tells me it only uses POP3, another local ISP uses both. I don't
know of any other protocol. Since my ISP will only let me download mail
(or read it via a rather incomplete webmail program) I don't use it for
receiving mail. For other people whose ISPs don't offer IMAP, I again
offer my bbs which does support IMAP, and lets you access your mail from
anywhere via telnet or ssh, but it sounds like your version of Pine
(newer) is much better at dealing with URLs. We have Pine 3.96 and I think
they started better URL handling with version 4.0. The other drawback of
our bbs is a 70K limit per mail message (in or out) so I am still looking
for some small program that will send directly from my computer (via the
ISP) with automatically encoded and attached binary files.

Maybe you can get Pine 3.96 to handle URLs in which case please let me
know. (I opened an account for you here - did you get the message about
that?).