baslinux - Re: [BL] Pine and BL2

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pine and BL2
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:00:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> It would be useful to have brief details of where to enter
> the addresses of the pop server and the smtp server. Also,
> is there a command in pine for uploading/downloading the mail?

To use Pine as a popmail checker (to view messages on the server and
delete them, if needed, without necessarily downloading them to the local
machine) do the following. At the main screen, type "S" (without
quotation marks), or simply hit the up/down arrow to highlight "setup"
(the "S" that you type stands for setup) and hit enter. The type "C" or
select, using the up/down arrow "configuration" ("C" stands for
configuration).
In the configuration menu, use the up/down arrow to highlight "inbox-path" and
hit enter. Type the following
{nameofyour.popserver/user=yourusername/pop3}INBOX . Note the curly
brackets. "Inbox" is typically the name of the folder on your pop server
where your mail is stored, but you can enter a different name there if you
want to check a different folder or if your inbox folder has some other
name. Hit enter to accept the changes. If you want to add your smtp
server, you add it at this configuration mneu too: highlight smtp-server
on the menu, hit enter, then type yoursmtp.server.com and hit enter to
accept the entry. Then, just escape from that menu, navigate to your
inbox in Pine, and when you enter it, you'll be prompted for your
password. The client then downloads a list of messages through which you
can scroll, hitting enter to view those you want to read. To save a
message locally, simply highlight the message or view it and hit the "s"
key (stands for "save" in this menu). You'll then be asked which folder
you want to save it to. Pine is set up by default to delete (mark with
the letter "d") those messages you save locally, and it will ask when you
exit the program if you want to delete those messages marked with the "d".
If you hit "y" (for yes, of course) they will then be deleted from the
server. Otherwise, they remain on the server.

You can get Pine to check multiple pop servers by enabling "incoming
folders" and creating folders that point to each of the desired servers.
I'm pretty sure this holds for Pine 4.21 as well as later versions. I can
supply directions for that later, if needed.

James
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:08:11 +0000
From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies

sindi keesan wrote:

> If I have installed both xmono and the 16-color vga .tgz file,

Your current Xserver will be whichever of those was installed
last. When you use installpkg to install an Xserver, it
automatically makes that Xserver the current Xserver.

> I think I have missed something in the XF86Config file about
> choosing the Xserver.

XF86Config does not set the Xserver. It is used *by* the
Xserver, not *for* the Xserver. Xinit starts the Xserver
without reference to XF86Config. Once the Xserver is running
it goes to XF86Config to get the specifications.

> How did you get X to work with 13M instead of 55M?

The X used by BL2 is the standard X from Slackware 7.1
The X packages in Slackware 8.1 are *much* larger --
that is one reason why BL2 is based on Slackware 7.1,
not Slackware 8.1.

> What sorts of things did you leave out

The list of X installation packages (on the BL2 site)
provides the minimum installation. It does not include
documentation, extra fonts, the optional XF86Setup utility
and the programmer's package (for compiling X binaries).
Users are welcome to add these packages from Slackware 7.1.
However, it is not necessary. The minimum packages work
fine.

> I have probably omitted some crucial step somewhere.

Your Xserver appears to be working (you see the big X on
the screen), so don't fiddle with /etc/XF86Config. Your
only problem seems to be in /root/.xinitrc. Edit it and
remove *everything*. Just put one word in it:
-----
icewm
-----
Then execute "startx"