baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and the small web browser

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and the small web browser
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:31:35 -0400 (EDT)

> > The filelist is just a list of package names.
> > MANIFEST.gz lists the contents of all the packages.
>
> Thanks. Is there some way to read a .gz file online with Lynx or Links or
> must it be downloaded first?

I was able to read with Lynx but it took a very long time to download the
MANIFEST.gz file (list of packages) and when I wanted to read just elflibs
it unzipped the entire file to several megabytes which took even longer.
Not something to do online often with a modem.

> > Most of the files need for links2 are in /slakware/a4/elflibs.tgz

This file contains 21 lib files totalling about 1.85M, of which libtiff,
libpng, libjpeg, libgpm, libvga and libz (all needed) total about .87M.
Except for libslang the other files are all pretty small. Please advise
on whether it makes sense to install the whole package and if not is there
anything more complicated involved when just copying individual files to
/usr/lib/ than making symlinks?