baslinux - [BL] Parallel port zip drive

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Parallel port zip drive
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:32:40 +0000

Mark Glassberg wrote:

> I'm running BL1.8 on the hard disk of an old 386 based
> laptop--80M hd and 10M ram. I have one of the newer
> parallel port zip drives, which takes an imm module
> which was not available when the 2.0.34 kernel was created.
> Is there any way to use (mount) this drive using the 2.0.34
> kernel?

Probably not. There is a special iomega.s kernel (2.0.34)
in Slackware 3.5, but I think it only works for some zip
drives. The zipslack.s kernel (2.0.34) should work with
more varieties of zip drives. I suggest you try booting
BL1 with the bzimage from /kernels/zipslack.s.

> If not, which replacement would be best?

If you really need the imm module, you should use a later
kernel (from a later version of Slackware). Slackware 7.1
has that module (in the /modules/2.2.16/scsi directory).
Boot BL1 with the bzimage from the /kernels/bare.i directory
(although you could try the zipslack one too).

> If I replace the kernel, how do I replace the modules?

You will need modules from the same version of Slackware.
For example, if you boot a 2.2.16 kernel (Slack71), you
need 2.2.16 modules. In Slack71 you will find the modules
in various sub-directories below: /modules/2.2.16/
Copy the modules you need to BasicLinux and put them
all in one directory: /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc