baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:09:57 -0400 (EDT)

> glibc 2.3 would fill the ramdisk, all by itself.

Meaning about 4M? Even 8M would be acceptible, and a lot more useful than
groff just to read man files.

> > but it is probably acceptable on a 120M hard drive
>
> That is your decision; but, if you insist on installing
> up-to-date versions of everything, you'll soon overflow
> 120mb.

I have no intention of installing 'everything' - if I did I would be using
something like Redhat instead of BL ;) But one of my reasons for learning
Linux is to be able to run Opera and it seems to need the new library, as
do quite a few other precompiled programs. (I put someone to the trouble
of installing Slackware 7.1 from CD with the old library so that someone
else could compile Kermit specially for use by people who did not upgrade
their libraries, and they recommended that I upgrade anyway because of
some security patch). A newer library would also let me use programs from
later versions of Slackware, such as a Lynx later than 2.3.

I know in theory I could compile my own versions of some of these (not
Opera) but the newer library will take up a lot less space than a
compiler. Given a choice between a more useful library and X, I would
choose the former. I have not yet found any X programs I want to run
other than Opera. I do try to use the smallest possible tool for the job,
but sometimes the smallest tool won't do the job.

I will probably attempt a library upgrade before installing X. Wish me
luck.