baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff

  • From: ichi AT aggies.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:54:50 +0000

James Miller wrote:

> Steven: did you note that Opera has come out with a
> new Linux beta - 7.10?

Yes, I saw that.

> Seems like a chance that the bugs you were encountering
> in 6.XX may have gotten worked out in that release.

I'm not optimistic. The version of Opera I have here worked
fine on Slackware 8.1 (with glibc 2.3). I'm beginning to fear
that the problem it has on BL2 (with glibc 2.1) is related to
the library. Because Opera is closed-source, we simply have
to take whatever library they choose.

> Are you planning on trying it? I may give it a try.

Perhaps. But I'll be trying other things first.

> Just a clarification: Mozilla is needed only for compiling
> Skipstone, right?

I don't know about that. I have a feeling that the binary
still needs mozilla files.

> Finally, I wonder if the browser ViewML might be worth looking
> into. It's in quite early stages of development,

It's been in "early stages" for a couple of years now.
I looked into it a while back. The (commercial) organization
behind it are big on self-promotion, but I don't know whether
they actually have something useful.