baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:31:13 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm not optimistic. The version of Opera I have here worked
> fine on Slackware 8.1 (with glibc 2.3). I'm beginning to fear
> that the problem it has on BL2 (with glibc 2.1) is related to
> the library. Because Opera is closed-source, we simply have
> to take whatever library they choose.

How much larger is glibc 2.3 than 2.1? I keep running into programs that
need it and it might be worth the space. (I made 1M free space by
deleting locale files - is there some switch I could use while installing
to avoid installing them in the first place?). I know it won't fit in the
RAMdisk version but it is probably acceptable on a 120M hard drive
version. 2.2 was not all that huge, a lot smaller than what you would
need to view man files the traditional way, or run X, and it would make it
possible to use later precompiled versions of Lynx and Kermit and various
graphical browsers.

I have not yet risked trying to update the library. If anyone else wants
to do it and post the exact details I would be grateful.