baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: ratpoison and other small windowmanager

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: ratpoison and other small windowmanager
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:23:29 -0400 (EDT)

> sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> > Can you set up X so that it will display at more than
> > 640 resolution on an SVGA color monitor but also work
> > on a 9" mono VGA monitor?
>
> You will need to install two different Xservers -- one
> for the VGA and one for the SVGA. You will also need
> two matching /etc/XF86Config files. A simple script
> could be used to switch between them.

I will start with plain VGA then and learn to write scripts later.
Could I load the two servers with different xinit files? (For instance
xvga and xsvga?)

> > You mentioned something about the screen being larger
> > than the display.
>
> ---------------
> Modes "640x480"
> Virtual 800 600
> ---------------
> Makes the VGA screen as a window on an 800x600 screen.
>
> > I presume I would have to be careful about refresh rates
> > not being greater than the mono monitor could handle,
> I don't think a hi-res Xserver will work with a VGA screen.
> You will need to use the VGA16 Xserver (or perhaps the mono
> Xserver). It will probably work on your fancy video card,
> but only when it outputs VGA.

I should understand this better after doing the installation.
It might be more complicated on my dual-monitor system. The mono Xserver
I think also does Hercules. I have VT3 and VT4 set for Hercules. Do I
always run X from VT1? Is there some advantage of the mono over the
VGA16 Xserver? The latter is working with SuSE on a mono VGA monitor.

It is handy to combine a 9" mono VGA and a 12" amber TTL monitor - they
both fit on the computer together.

On the topic of Netscape and X:

xinit -e netscape did not load netscape, just the xterm window.