b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] LXX - a term of confusion, qere-ketiv

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Steven Avery <stevenavery AT verizon.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] LXX - a term of confusion, qere-ketiv
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 22:20:38 -0400

Hi,

Since the terminology "the LXX" is critical to a lot of argumentation, here is an important side-point on terminology.

Bryant J. Williams III
KS is an abbreviation of KURIOS.
QS is an abbreviation of QEOS.
PNA is an abbreviation of PNEUMA.

Steven Avery
Clearly, and there are others. And this is why nomina sacra need to be seen as a unit, making it impossible to get around the abbreviation element. Thus, even if if there was evidence that one of the NT authors (e.g. Matthew) out of the 7-10 or so involved in the theory, ever embedded even one Tetragram somewhere in their Greek autographs, we would have later in the 1st century and early 2nd:

YHVH-->Kurios-->KS.

And all evidence of the original YHVH would have long vanished, and the kurios substitution was so early that it could be considered autographic.

Note that the above is a fantasmagorical conjectural argument. One that even allows the YHVH autograph sans evidence in one verse by one author. Even then, it had to morph to Kurios so quickly that it was virtually the autograph. Else you would have the various evidences and redactions, the multi-line changes, the notice by Origen. And you would have to have time for the YHVH-->Kurios-->KS changeover. Almost immediately from the pen of Matthew would be YHVH-->Kurios.

Bryant J. Williams III
Each of these abbreviations would be used to distinguish between lord = master, sir, Lord versus LORD, Lord (adonay); god versus God; wind, breath, spirit versus Spirit. These would have used in the 2nd Century AD by Christian scribes making more copies of the Greek Old Testament (GOT) and the LXX (BOTH subsumed by scholars under LXX).

Steven Avery
It is true that some scholars subsume all GOT manuscripts under LXX, however this is a cause of :

"confusion, misunderstanding and unnecessary controversy" - Albert Pietersma

Today, I prepared a little post on this, and placed it in the TC-Alternate forum (open archives) where the formatting helps for an involved post with lots of quotes and urls.

[TC-Alternate-list] LXX - term of scholarly confusion, misused can support bogus textual theories - GOT and Old Greek
Steven Avery - June 20,2013
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TC-Alternate-list/message/5737

and you can easily see just how thorny is the terminology around LXX and GOT.

And it is my belief that the loose terminology has been one fudge factor in the use by our Norwegian scholar Rolf Furuli. On b-hebrew and other forums like b-greek. The loose terminology that "the LXX" changed this way or that is helpful in order to try to present a possible NT scenario of an embedded Hebrew word in the Greek autographs. When in fact "the LXX" is diverse textual lines, diverse translations, diverse transmissions.

Noting that the theory is against all NT textual evidence and against all sense in terms of NT scribal habits and textual transmission and against the ECW silence and voice (all these are areas simply ignored by Rolf. Hope to present one summary in-time-for-the-wire post.)

By referring to "the LXX", and not describing and working with the OT discontinuities in textual transmission and the new translations of the post-apostolic period, and the distinction between Jewish and Christian GOT, a false impression is given of Greek Old Testament transmission. The claim is made of a change in "LXX" manuscripts, as if there was only one line of transmission in "the LXX"

=============

Normally, I would bring the whole post over here, but it really is more readable on TC-Alternate. If anyone only gets email, and no net, I could post the whole post here, or send a private email, if you send me a request to my email addy (which you see by simply hitting reply on b-hebrew).

Thanks.

Bryant J. Williams III
> The question is when did the use of Adonay in Qere begin to be used as a substitute for YHWH?

Nehemia Gordon is an example of a writer who does not see an Adonai qere, and he gives a couple of interesting reasons why.

This blog post seems to be one of the more readable presentations of his article.

The Pronunciation of the Name by Nehemia Gordon
http://radicalreformation.over-blog.com/article-the-pronunciation-of-the-name-by-nehemia-gordon-99715544.html

Subject was: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

Shalom,
Steven Avery