b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:54:52 +0200

Dear Barry,

I have one comment to your post.

> > The fact that we have OT Greek mss with YHWH/IAO into the first
> > century, and no Greek OT with KYRIOS, then in the second century we
> > have mss with KS, seems to me a good argument by analogy that maybe
> > the NT originals did have YHWH or IAO. (I am not taking a position
> > here, just pointing out that it is a good argument by analogy)
>
> Then you have the same problem has Rolf, finding a reasonable explanation
> as to why all the manuscript traditions from all geographical locations
> ceased using the tetragrammaton.

This is not a problem at all! To bring in "all geographical locations" is
unnecessary. In the second century there were no textual families. So the
later manuscripts from "all geographical locations" go back to the one
manuscript tradition from the second century CE. This means that we have to
account for a single group of manuscripts—those from the second century. When
the evidence suggest that between 50 and 130 CE YHWH was deleted and KS
introduced as a substitute, as professor Kilpatrick said, this means that
this second century tradition would spread to all later manuscripts. So
there are not many different pieces of evidence that point in the same
direction, but only one piece of evidence.