b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:17:13 -0700

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM, Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

I agree that it does not address the scribal habits.  But if some refused to follow the tradition of saying Adonai/etc, as the evidence shows,

Except that's not what the evidence shows, as I have pointed out several times. I notice that both you and Rolf are carefully ignoring that. I have offered a reasonable alternative analysis, demonstrating that the use of the Hebrew characters, as well as the Greek filler IAW - does anybody really think that is how it was pronounced? - were designed to prevent the reader from trying to sound the name, much like the Masoretic qere system. Rather than address that analysis, both of you have studiously dodged any mention of it and just keep repeating the same talking points over and over. Now that the discussion is closed I suppose it's a bit academic, but it would be nice to see some actual interaction.

--
Dave Washburn

Check out my Internet show: http://www.irvingszoo.com

Now available: a novel about King Josiah!