b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:11:28 +0200

Dear Jerry,

You have asked two questions, and I will give you my answers.

Onsdag 19. Juni 2013 21:43 CEST skrev Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>:

> Hi Rolf,
>

> It's me again. I have a couple of questions for you.
>

> 1. You seem to be unable to admit that when the LXX mss used KS it was an
> abbreviation for KURIOS, but rather maintain that it was an immediate>
> rendering of YHWH or IAO. If your suggestion is correct, then why did they
> use these two particular letters and not some other pairing of letters?

You have misunderstood my position. I have all the time said that KS in the
LXX and NT manuscripts from the second century CE most likely is an
abbreviation for KURIOS. At the same time I have have pointed out that all
the known LXX fragments up to 50 CE. contain IAO or YHWH. Thus, the evidence
shows that copyists or scribes ceased to use YAO/YHWH and substituted the
name with KS some time between 50 and 130 CE. This means that KS in the LXX
manuscripts both is an abbreviation for KURIOS, and is used as a substitute
for YHWH. Because KS CAN be used as a substitute for YHWH—it does so in LXX
manuscripts—it CAN be used as a substitute for YHWH in NT manuscripts as well.

I have also said that I am open for the possibility that either KURIOS or
YHWH was written in the NT autographs, but that my assessment of the evidence
clearly is in favor of YHWH. You and most others who have participated in
this thread, have on the other hand closed the door for one on the
alternatives; you have categorically denied that YHWH could have been written
in the NT, even though you do not have the autographs.

> 2. When KS or KY or KN is used in NT mss in passages like Acts 2:36 or 2
> Cor 13:14; would you also maintain that the original autographs had YHWH or
> IAO in those places?

I have discussed the NT quotes from the Tanakh, either from the Hebrew or
from the LXX text. The evidence is that both these texts had YHWH or YAO, and
the NT writers would see the name of God and not KURIOS in the text they
quoted. I have pointed out that no participant in this thread has given any
plausible reason why the NT writers should delete the name of God from such
quotes end replace it with a title. I see no reason to discuss particular NT
passages that are not quotes from the Tanakh. Moreover, your question 2. has
theological overtones, because the two references are to Jesus.

> Blessings,
>

> Jerry
>
> Jerry Shepherd
> Taylor Seminary