b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:56:49 -0700

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com> wrote:
Dave:

[snip]

This part of the argument baffles me.  The fact that the extant NT mss all have KS says nothing about the first century.  They just speak to the fact that in the second century Scribes put KS for God's name.  That's all.  There is no more evidence in these mss for KYRIOS than for YHWH or IAO.  And it doesn't matter if there is one MS or 5000 MSS.  Until we find MSS from the first century with KYRIOS, we cannot speak of the newer documents as evidence.  The scant evidence (OT Greek mss BCE) that Rolf has presented speaks more to the issue than the silence of the first century autographs.  The argument may be weak, but as an inductive argument, it is cogent.

I have already addressed Rolf's "evidence," and he has not responded. Others have also addressed it and he has not responded. As for first-century mss, it's clear that you do not understand how textual criticism works, but that topic is beyond the purview of this list.

--
Dave Washburn

Check out my Internet show: http://www.irvingszoo.com

Now available: a novel about King Josiah!