b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 00:41:43 -0600

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for your answers.  And now four points/questions/corrections.

1. Actually, you have been less than forthcoming that KS was an abbreviation for KURIOS.  And I think that accounts for at least some of the flack that you've been getting in some of the responses.  Indeed, even in this response you only acknowledge that KS is "most likely" an abbreviation for KURIOS.  Is there really any doubt?

2.  Now, since you do acknowledge that KS and its variants were "most likely" abbreviations for KURIOS, another important question for you to answer is: Why was KURIOS chosen to represent YHWH or IAO rather than some other word/title?

3. I know it's hard keeping track of all that people have said in their responses, but I have not "closed the door"  on the possibility that YHWH could have been written in the NT autographs; but I do believe that it is extremely unlikely, in that the NT documents are not, like the LXX mss, copies or translations of Hebrew mss; rather they are new creations: Gospels; historical accounts, and letters.

4. My questions re the two NT passages do in fact have theological implications; but I have no desire to explore them.  I only want to know what you think was in the autograph.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary