b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:13:59 -0700 (PDT)

   Rolf,
You mentioned in passing that the Egyptians had
already the custom of not calling a god by his
name because of his holiness. I believe this
refers to Amun as you confirmed in an earlier
correspondence on the subject.

   It would be interesting to speculate if this
ancient custom, and I believe it is among the
first attested in the ANE, had a direct influence
on the Israeli avoidance of pronouncing
the tetragammaton .

  This becomes all the more interesting because
judging by the surviving extra-biblical material,
in the pre-exilic period  YHWH was
treated as regular word. Whereas the Egyptian
custom is much earlier.

     Uri Hurwitz                             Wilmington, VT