b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 113, Issue 9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 113, Issue 9
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:19:59 -0200

isaac, pere,

i suspect that both of you use a too schematic definition of dagesh as
understood by the dagshanim. the 1st millenium AD dagesh was undoubtedly
already divided into lene and forte, and its use was not just

1) reflecting hard and soft consonants (pere + as reflected by BGD-KPT);

2) a fantasy (isaac)

it indeed depended on fine elements of the word: root type, binyan, suffixes
etc. most of the examples which you bring can be explained out if one makes
the assumption that the use of dagesh was consistent, deriving everything else
from there. (+removing a VERY SMALL number of scribe errors).

now, this does not imply that the dagesh represents faithfully BH. but it also
does not imply, alone, the opposite. this is where isaac's "arguments"
all fail.

>>> De: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
Cópia: B-Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>