b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Caleb

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Caleb
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:51:28 +0000

So we've gone from a name that means something in Northwest Semitic to a
Hurrian name because the West Semitic name is unusual? And therefore, it must
be a Hurrian name? That really is circular reasoning. By that reasoning, half
the names of people on the planet are Hurrian.

Not only have you failed to demonstrate that the names cannot be Northwest
Semitic (even though they make perfect sense), you have failed to demonstrate
the necessity of looking beyond the confines of Semitic languages in general,
let alone going to Hurrian. And as far as I can tell the only support you've
received for this thesis is that some people have agreed that the name Caleb
is an unusual name. There's a big jump from that to proposing that there is
some kind of consensus to a series of Hurrian names in the Bible. Get with
reality, please, Jim.

Have your last say on this with one more message, and then the thread is
closed.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia