b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a much bigger and relevant issue not exactly about Caleb

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a much bigger and relevant issue not exactly about Caleb
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:35:38 -0700

David:

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM, David Kolinsky
<yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Karl,
>
> Since Sarai, Sarah, and Yisrael are all based on the root SRH lets look at
> that only for now.
>
> SRH to fix upon:
> in wrestling there are takedowns, controls (holds), and reversals -
> in Hebrew "the hold" is described by the verb SRH to wrestle (Gn32:29),
> (Hs12:4);

This is found in only three verses, and does it really have the meaning of
grappling, or of throwing dust on the other to blind them so they could be
knocked down and defeated?

שרה to strive as in wrestling Gn 32:29, Ho 12:4, 5

> the reversals and takedowns by ?BQ (entangle with eachother) to wrestle
> (Gn32:25,26)

Referring to a “dust-up”

אבק to get dusty (from fighting, traveling) ⇒ to wrestle

> ShWR means (hold firmly in one's sights) to get a fix on (see)
> (Nm23:9,24:17)(Hs14:9)(Jb,7:8,17:15,20:9,24:15,33:14,34:29,35:13)(SoS4:8)
> to behold (Jb36:24) in Polael

שור to gaze (upon)

> S?R in Arabic = set out, move along, march, get going, be headed for s.th,
> be directed / oriented, be guided by; route

Arabic meaning is irrelevant.

> ShRR = to direct (Jb37:3)

שרה to let loose Jb 37:3

With a derivative:

שריה missile, can be an arrow from a bow, stone from a sling, etc. ?? αλ Jb
41:18

You may be thinking of another word:

שרר to chain in ?? ⇒ to be a prince ⇒ to rule, this is a rule that is not
law making, which the king did, but the enforcement of laws, keeping the
people in line metaphorically chaining them in, a more modern understanding:
to be a sheriff or policeman

> ?ShR = to go intentionally / directly (Pr9:16);

Wrong letters

> (Pr4:14) ;

to direct, lead (Is3:12;9:15)

(Pr23:19)

(Is9:15)

All of these are:
אשר to have joyful contentment from doing the right thing

In Is 9:15 referring to people who led people astray telling people that
what they were doing is right when it wasn’t.

> ShRyR(hold firm) muscle (Jb40:16)

One of the derivatives of שרר

> YShR = straight

ישר to be straight ⇒ as in upright, righteous

> The sense of all of these words is "to hold firm"

Not אשר not ישר nor שרה to let loose Jb 37:3 while you forgot to include שיר
sing

> in some cases physically: to wrestle, muscle
> in others visually. When you hold something firmly visually, we call that
> FOCUSING.

Alright, I’ll bite
Just looking at the synonyms of ראה to look, also in the sense of to
consider, think about, almost all have the idea of focussing:

בקר to look after,

הבר to observe,

חוס to regard with concern for (upon),

חזה to vision, view,

נבט to stare, i.e. look closely at or with expectation,

נכר to view (or listen) for purposes of recognition, both familiar and
strange, and to give recognition ⇒ to estrange, make strange (give
recognition that is a stranger), (hit) to disguise oneself (make oneself not
recognizable),

עין to have one’s eye on (somebody),

צפה to look out (for, upon) ⇒ to plate (the plating is what is looked
upon),

שבר to look to, in the sense of expectation (looking for provision) ⇒ to get
provisions (e.g. food), provide for, ⇒ to look over for planning, making
provision for action Ne 2:13, 15,

שגח to look steadily, to gaze,

שור to gaze (upon),

שזף to glimpse for a moment,

שעה to look with pleasure, approval, hit. look to oneself with approval ⇒
שעה מ remove approval from,

שקף to look out (e.g. from a window), draw one’s attention to (for purposes
of looking, acting),

תאה to sight (surveying)

Therefore, when I see any of these words use, I should be thinking of
focussing as well?

> When we follow our focus, we go directly, intently, and straight toward
> something.

How about the times we focus on something as something to avoid, and turn
the other way? Examples:

זנח to turn, push away from, an act of rejection or spurning

קוץ to be aroused in order to avoid

And some of their synonyms.

> Tell me something, did I fabricate anything here?

Yes, a connection that is not there.

> Perhaps, you can still disagree with my conclusions as to what the names
> mean, but SRH, ShWR, SRR, ShRR, ?ShR, YShR, mean these things.

No they don’t mean these things.

You forgot:

שיר to sing
How does that word fit your focussing thing?