b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a much bigger and relevant issue not exactly about Caleb

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a much bigger and relevant issue not exactly about Caleb
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 03:51:57 -0700

David:

You are doing three things

1) Etymological error: That error says that if we can figure out a word’s
etymology, we can find its meaning. The reason it is an error is because
words change meanings. So, for example, I cannot read Shakespeare or the
KJV; well I can read them superficially, but not in depth. What trips me up
are not the words that have gone out of use, those I can recognize and look
up, rather the words that have changed meaning from that time to now. There
are hundreds of them. Quite frankly, I have never studied archaic English to
find out which words have changed meaning.

2) Speculation: There are no evidences for some of the etymologies that you
propose, they are pure speculation through and through. If we want to be
scientific about it, we need to start with what is there, not make up stuff
that is never observed.

3) Forcing conformity to a previously chosen pattern: The scientific way of
studying is to make observations, then look to see if patterns exist. One
new observation can invalidate a recognized pattern. You turn that method on
its head, deciding on a pattern, then try to squeeze all new observations to
fit that pattern.

Because I say your methodology is invalid, it leads to invalid results,
GIGO.

Karl W. Randolph.