b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a much bigger and relevant issue not exactly about Caleb

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a much bigger and relevant issue not exactly about Caleb
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:11:07 -0700 (PDT)

Karl,

Unfortunately, I rarely have enough time to thoroughly address your very
valid points.  Additionally, the paradigm that you seem to be working from is
clearly differently than my own.  But I would like to make a few points that
I nevertheless know beforehand that you will reject them.

You are entirely correct that there is also a root שרה that means "to let
loose,
immerse, soak, steep, saturate" as in (Jr15:11) and you may even be correct
regarding Jb 37:3 (I dont have time to examine it fully right now).

However, not every cognate is the same root, it may just appear to be such.
Consider the root (RM which has three sources

1 - to heap up which comes from  Ayin + RWM (be high)
2 - to be naked which come from  (RH (naked) + M
3 - to be deceptive, cunning from  Ayin + RMH (deceive)

Likewise ShWR => ShRH has two sources

1 - to fix upon (visually and physically) from Sh + YRH (to aim, set < shoot,
throw, penetrate)
2 - to set loose, immerse, soak, steep, saturate from Sh + RWH (pour forth,
water)

So in short, not all cognates are equal or trully the same root.  It seems
that at times you disallow these differences that may be found in a
trilateral in root.  Your refusal to see that )ShR is actually two roots is
evidence for that.

1 - to confirm, celebrate, be happy ? + ShRH (be firm upon)
2 - to go intentionally, directly from ? + ShWR (fix upon visually)
*obviously the correctness of my derivations stands on less firm ground than
the examples above

On your point regarding שיר to sing, the wikipedia makes this statement under
the heading of singing > resonance "Various terms related to the resonation
process include amplification,
enrichment, enlargement, improvement, intensification, and prolongation,
(although in strictly scientific usage acoustic authorities would
question most of them.) ((parenthesis added by me and included so as not to
be accused of deception))
I would argue that the most primitive understanding of singing would be less
sophisticated where a PROLONGATION of tone would best describe what the
essence of singing is.  Prolongation basically being the same as "holding a
note firm."

Lastly given the choice between "let loose" and "focusing a thing" I think a
missile would be derived from the latter rather than the former.  A missile
"let loose" is of no value if it is
not "focused."

Respects,
david kolinsky