b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:47:29 +0200

Karl,

In a first approach I think you may be right.

1. Concerning the form -------> we have parallels of your proposed (hamtem)
form in

a. Nm 32:14: qamtem
b. Dt 9:16: sartem
c. Zc 14:5: v'nastem

2. Concerning the meaning:

Maybe we have here a construction similar (not identical!) to that in Dt
7:23 (v'hamam).

But I find here a problem; Karl.

In a context of death and destruction (see 16:35 and the preceding
verses).... isn't it more logical the meaning "you killed" -namely,
related to verb "MWT"- than any meaning related to verb HWM?

Remark: the LXX writes "apektágkate", you killed: in the 3rd century b.C.E
(2,300 years ago). they understood "HMTM" as being related to verb "MWT" and
not to verb "HWM".

Friendly,

Pere Porta

--