b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] no to aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] no to aspect
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:05:21 -0600

Hello Isaac:

Your opinions imply a simple explanation to the problem:

1. verb + pp = past tense;

2. pp + verb = future tense;

3. vav prefix reverses "1" and "2;"

4. context can, and frequently does, change "1" - "3."

So, when reading the text, follow 1-4 for understanding of tense expressed
by verb usage.

regards,

fred burlingame