b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] qatal-wayiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] qatal-wayiqtol
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:57:36 -0300

fred,

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:12:57 -0600, fred burlingame wrote
> Does proverbs 31:15 present an exception to the hypothesis, both as to tense
and repetition of verb forms?
> Perhaps the masoretic text resists rules.

on the contrary! (at least in this case...) let me quote from my previous
email:

"some cases where hypothesis 4 is violated may be attributed to
difficulties in maintaining
this inversion in the narrative".

proverbs 31:15 is precisely one of them. the second half of the sentence
has the following schematic form:

(1) "gave: A to B, and C to D"

or word order

V-: -DO-IO, & -DO-IO

with no Subject present. in general, hebrew (just like english) prefers to put
the Verb BEFOR
the (Direct or Indirect) Object(s), especially so when a Subject word is
missing. even more so,
when the Verb has to serve in parallel more than one Object complex.

conclusion: as the narrator finishe the first half of the sentence, which uses
wyqtol, he finds
it necessary to start the second half with a "w-verb", implying a
second wyqtol form, and violating H4.

> Perhaps only a general rule can be assigned in this instance, and subject to
one or two exceptions:
> a. pronoun suffixed verbs encode past tense;
> b. pronoun prefixed verbs encode future tense;

i dont quite get a and b. can you give some examples?

> c. vav prefix reverses tense of the verb;

nobody can object to it, on the behavioral-statistical level. whether this was
INTENDED to be so, i believe it was,
maybe in contrary to a couple of our colleagues. it would indeed be
interesting to examine the exceptional
cases where inversion does not occur.

> d. context and actual usage can alter "a" - "c."

agree.

> I observe by way of comparison the following. One, of numerous potential
meanings of a single word (including opposite potential meanings), frequently
becomes expressed only by actual usage.

agree. when you say "the patriots scored a victory" the reaction in NY and in
Ghaza could be different.

> Coud not verb forms be viewed in a similar fashion? The verb form enjoys an
inherent bias towards a particular
tense. But the actual tense of the verb form only becomes known when put to
use in a specific context?

right! one textual facet of context is "aspect", i.e. the action observed not
from the narrator's vantage point but the
vantage point of the action's subject. one grammatical facet is my hypothesis
4. i guess there should be many
more facets involved. even the mean of communication.
for example, a newspaper may prefer "the patriot score a victory" in present
tense.

in our case (two past actions in BH) the verb form is seen to react with the
word order, and the word order is
influenced by various textual and grammatical factors.

regards
nir cohen

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>

dear rolf, paul, fred, arnaud,