b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] no to aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] no to aspect
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:12:57 -0600

Hello Nir:

Thanks for taking the time to develop and present a nice hypothesis. You
have thought it out well.

I offer the following response.

Does proverbs 31:15 present an exception to the hypothesis, both as to tense
and repetition of verb forms?

Perhaps the masoretic text resists rules.

Perhaps only a general rule can be assigned in this instance, and subject
to one or two exceptions:

a. pronoun suffixed verbs encode past tense;

b. pronoun prefixed verbs encode future tense;

c. vav prefix reverses tense of the verb; and

d. context and actual usage can alter "a" - "c."

I observe by way of comparison the following. One, of numerous
potential meanings of a single word (including
opposite potential meanings), frequently becomes expressed only by actual
usage. Coud not verb forms be viewed in a similar fashion? The verb form
enjoys an inherent bias towards a particular tense. But the actual tense of
the verb form only becomes known when put to use in a specific context?

regards,

fred burlingame