b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:03:27 -0600

Hello Isaac:

Thanks for your comments.

1. That is a most important distinction; the difference between:

a. what you "hear;" and

b. what you "know."

So, with ותקם , va-ta-kam, sung or read to you; when you hear past tense:

i. do you hear past tense because that is how you speak/read/write the
language today; or

ii. do you hear past tense because that is how you understand the language
was spoken/read/written then?

regards,

fred burlingame