b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 23:48:07 -0600

Hello Chavoux:

Thanks for your most interesting comments.

It is becoming more and more clear to me that words do not exist in
isolation, but rather only in symbiosis with other words, actually used in a
narrative, book, culture, sentence, etc.

I know that sounds a bit unreasonable. But then so does quantum mechanics,
and the idea that measurement determines reality.

I don't know about other languages. I haven't ever thought about english in
this manner. But it seems that the pieces and parts (words, letters) of the
ancient hebrew language enjoy a range of potential functions and meanings.
And until the pieces and parts become employed in actual communication
(sentence, paragraph, book), the words have no specific and precise meaning
or existence.

It's quite obvious from your remarks that your mind immediately (and
probably unconsciously) searches for context in order to breathe
precision, meaning and life into individual words. (I may do the same thing
with english, constantly. I simply have never thought about it.).

So, suffixed and prefixed verbs, in the language at hand, appear to have
a preferred usage, then and now; but .... actual context could, and does
frequently, alter that preference.

regards,

fred burlingame