b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 17:31:25 -0600

Hello Isaac;

Thanks for your instructive comments.

"Gramaticalization" is kind of a big word ... for me anyhow; but if i hear
you correctly, the richness and the depth of the hebrew language defies
compartmentalization into "rule" boxes.
1. The song (proverbs 31:10-31) speaks to past, present, and future; or the
timeless character of אשת חיל (e-shet ha-yil) .

2. Proverbs 31:16 utilizes a suffixed verb (zam-mah) זממה . I am not sure
why you divide the pronunciation "zamm-ah?" I am also not sure what you mean
by "sleeper properties" and "keeping her eyes open," in the context of this
verse. If you mean the suffixed verb speaks to the past tense, but the poet
also implies & intends to convey the present and future tenses, I agree.
3. Proverbs 31:11, uses a prefixed verb (ye-h-sar) יחסר . I agree with your
sentiment that the future tense expressed here.

4. Proverbs 31:14, adopts a prefixed verb also (ta-vi) תביא . And I agree
with your conclusion of timelessness here.

My conclusion therefore becomes similar to my comments to Nir. ....;
Prefixed and suffixed verbs generally mark future and past tenses,
respectively, but actual usage can (and frequently does) change and enlarge
the tenses indicated by the verb.

And finally, if lamed ל means "lofty;" what about מלל (ma-lal)? How do we
arrive at a verb meaning "speak," from "lofty" letter root meaning? The
meaning of mem?

regards,

fred burlingame