b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:38:55 -0600

Hello Chavoux:

I do appreciate your comments.

The hebrew language printed on an israeli newspaper today, looks different
to me from the hebrew language printed in the tanakh. The latter I
recognize; the former I do not.

I suppose the best way for me to understand your practical distinction
between tense and aspect, as you consume this language ... would include a
concrete example.

Take proverbs 31:15. If someone read those words to you today, without
identifying the source of the words, (other than the person speaking to
you) ... how would you "hear" the two verbs; ותקם (va-ta-kam); and ותתן
(va-ti-ten)?

a. "and she rose;" "and she gave?"

b. "and she is rising;" "and she is giving?"

c. some other manner?

And is what you "hear" first determined by your initial decision that:

a. the speaker is speaking to me in "modern" or current hebrew; or

b. the speaker is speaking to me in biblical hebrew language?

I also am grateful for your clarification of vav consecutive; as it appears
this little letter includes a multifunction prefix: (i.) change tense; and
(ii.)conjunction.

I am glad to see this discussion facilitates your understanding of the
language. It surely enhances mine.

Thanks for your help.

regards,

fred burlingame