b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] language level

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] language level
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:33:42 -0500

0. She is not my "relative", she is my granddaughter, and she is not "very young", she is 5 years old.
1. Yes. ABAH and AWAH mean that something came, BA, materialized עבה (or עוה), and settled in our consciousness, driving us to yield to it's, often vehement, insistence. So, BA LI is a clear and succinct ANI MIT-ABAH (namely, מתאוה or מתעבה) LE-.
2. there is no such thing as "modern" Hebrew.
3. I return to my previous example. You may call (by voice) your daughter ZIYBAH, but you must write it ZIYVAH (the registrar may refuse to register ZIYBAH in order to protect the dignity and reputation of the child). We are calling her ZIYBAH (which is the same as ZIYVAH), but we know that it is written with a vav. Seeing the word and hearing the word are interconnected.
4. All you have to do to study Hebrew etymology is to put your mind to it.

Isaac Fried, Boston University