b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] language level

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] language level
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 21:29:58 -0500

The letters aleph and ayin are meaningless, they are mere filler letters. The words AB אב 'father', and AB עב 'cloud', are sounded today exactly the same way (but have different plurals). We know by context if it is cloud (namely, the thick klutzy clod of water hanging in the heavens), or it is father (namely, the thick klutzy clod of flesh and bones sitting at the head of the table, and rumored to have sired the children around him). So is final he. Thus, P (of the meaning 'up') is the root of both APAH אפה 'baked', and PAAH פאה 'extend'. AP עף is 'up', and so is AP אף 'nose'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University