b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 44:15 idol of fire god?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 44:15 idol of fire god?
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:37:47 +1100

Worshipping God in the form of fire is quite old. It has long been found among Indo-European peoples. But, I don't see that in the Hebrew text.

Kevin Riley

On 1/02/2011 10:02 AM, kenneth greifer wrote:
I was wondering if Isaiah 44:15 might say "...he (the idol maker) will make a god and he
will worship (he will bow), he makes (it) an idol and bows to them (lamo) (or to it)." It
also says he will use the wood to make a fire to warm himself and to cook. Maybe the quote
literally means he will make a god and an idol and bow to them both if the god is the fire. I
heard that in those times some people worshiped fire as a god. I don't know if they believed in a
god in charge of fire or if they thought fire itself was a god. It's a wild guess, but who knows.
It could explain the word "to them" (lamo). (As usual, I don't actually expect anyone
to answer, but if you do, please don't do it off-list. Thank you.)

Kenneth Greifer