b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] language level

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] language level
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 08:21:18 -0500

Why tri-phonemic? Because the written text is a descriptive representation
of the vocalization of the oral text, and analysis has indicated that the
language used trilateral roots.

For Isaac’s proposal, which you seem to be wanting to adopt, to be a true
description of the development, the forebears of the Hebrews would have had
to thrown out all their previous spoken communication forms and started
building the language from scratch. Even if they had done this, the language
that they started with would not have been Hebrew—it would have been
something that eventually developed into Hebrew. It is an interesting
proposal and may shed some light on why some roots are related. It also
would appear to make Hebrew (and the other Semitic languages?) unique, as I
have never seen anyone propose such a correlation between phonemes and
meaning for other language families. But it is *not* describing the language
that we know as Hebrew, it is describing a forebear to Hebrew. Again, the
language that we know as Hebrew has triliteral roots.

As for your reconstitution statement, the core words were not changed.
Grammar was, adopting more of an Indo-European flavor, but the base
vocabulary remained. Did pronunciation differ from the original? Perhaps,
but that would be in the vowels and perhaps idiomatic pronunciation of
certain consonants. Nothing occurred that would have changed the number of
letter/consonantal phonemes in the roots.

Paul Zellmer