b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:24:19 -0600

Hello Nir:

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

You all appear skilled and adept at this language, just like physicians or
attorneys enjoy a high level of ability in their professions.

I am reminded however, of the following scenario that occurs so frequently.

a. the patient asks her doctor: "will i get well?" ..... she hopes for a
"yes or "no" answer ... and the response in fact: "maybe."

b. likewise, the client asks his lawyer: "will I win this case?" ... he
hopes for a "yes" or "no" answer ... and the response in fact: "maybe."

c. and then fred asks here: "do the two hebrew verb forms "yiqtol" and
"qatal" instruct tense and / or aspect? fred hopes for a "yes" or "no"
answer ..... and the response in fact: "maybe."

and the patient, the client and fred are left with their thoughts: "does it
have to be this way?" .....

I can sympathize with the physician and the attorney, since the future
cannot be known with certainty. But here, we are dealing with past events,
the 1000 year old masoretic text. And yet no one appears willing to say:
"the masoretic text employs two verb forms "yiqtol" and "qatal," rather than
one verb form, for the following reason: ...... "

It seems to me the reason for it (two, versus one, verb forms), is
susceptible to both identification and articulation in a sentence or two.

regards,

fred burlingame