b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] language level

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Paul Zellmer <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] language level
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:07:29 -0600

Hello Paul:

Thanks for your helpful comments.

It sounds to me like the "conversation" or "discourse" or "context"
surrounding the verb, dictates the tense and aspect of the verb. And that
sounds reasonable.

But ..... if so, why the existence; why the need; for two large and
different sets of verb forms:

a. yiqtol; and

b. qatal.

Somehow, I cannot believe that level of redundancy or inefficiency became
injected into the hebrew language.

regards,

fred burlingame