b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] language level

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] language level
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:50:12 -0500

This is, indeed, the ultimate question ––– the end of the road. All Hebrew single-consonant roots (excepting R) are, in my opinion, but existence markers, with an added shade of meaning. The meaning of the root L is what it is in AL על 'above', the meaning of the root B is what it is in AB עב 'thick, solid', the meaning of the root $ is what it is in $)H שאה, 'lift' [compare $OA שוע 'noble'], the root S is what it is in SA), 'carry, lift', and so on. The root R indicates, in my opinion, plurality, namely, that a material state consists of many free bodies, for instance RSQ, PRQ, $BR, etc.. Then, there is context and usage.

Isaac Fried, Boston University