b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A correction about one, two, or three Isaiahs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "George Athas" <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A correction about one, two, or three Isaiahs
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 08:10:25 -0800

Dear George,

Thank you for the correction regarding "conservative" versus "traditionalist."

Regarding 2-3. Although the JEDP theory relates to the Pentateuch, it's
conclusions were used by the Redaction-Critical Theory proponents for the rest
of the Tanakh. There is obvious editing in the text of the Tanakh, but that
does
not mean that it was created whole cloth at the time of editing which many of
the proponents believe. I think the DSS put that issue to rest. The major
problem with Deutero-Isaiah or Trito-Isaiah theories is the issue of
predictive
prophecy which most do not admit to (this is true for all of prophecy in the
Tanakh especially Daniel); and, thus, automatically put a late date to the
documents. Your number four shows that this is the case.

I'll stop now before I violate list guidelines.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III