b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 09:30:36 -0500

[b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?

fred burlingame tensorpath at gmail.com
on Thu Dec 23 09:19:30 EST 2010 wrote:
"You could be correct. I was not present at that time.

But .... when manufacture of a single book the size of the bible consumes
years of one scribe's full time effort, .... it seems improbable that the
masoretic text resulted for any, but a relatively few teachers; and
surely
not the general population of millions of consumers.
"
-------
Dave writes,
I wonder if the introduction of inexpensive BHS texts in the 20th
century, which can
probably be purchased for less than $60.00, has opened the door to the
Codex L. for
public consumption.
I suspect that much of the public, had discovered their first interest in
the Hebrew
Language through Strong's Concordance, as they checked the vowel points
found in Hebrew
Word #3068, [i.e. Yehovah] and discovered that they were not the same as
the vowel
points that were found in "Adonai".

Wikipedia writes:
In modern times, the Leningrad Codex is most important as the Hebrew text
reproduced in Biblia Hebraica (1937) and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
(1977). It also serves scholars as a primary source for the recovery of
details in the missing parts of the Aleppo Codex.
Of course in my particular case, I purchased a facsimile of Codex L. for
about $260.00
for the expressed purpose of discovering if the holem
in (yod-shewa-heh-defective holem-waw-qamets-heh),
was directly above the waw which also had a qamets directly beneath it.

Back in 1991 a sacred name ministry was claiming that Jehovah was known
to be a false
punctuation of God's Hebrew name because the waw had two different vowel
points
attached to it.

Well I discovered that the holem was not directly above the waw/vav in
Codex L.
However, later I discovered that Codex L. had 6 different variants of
YHWH, and during
my examination of those six different variants of YHWH, I decided that
the Masoretes
probably did want the Jewish reader to read "Adonai" when he or she saw
two of those
variants of YHWH, and that the Masoretes probably did want the Jewish
reader to read
"Elohim" when he or she saw the other four of the six other variants of
WHWH
in Codex L.

However, maybe the question should be asked:
"Did the Inexpensive BHS Text in the 20th century,
as well as inexpensive Ben Chayyim Hebrew Texts,
as well as Strong's Concordance,
open up the MT to public consumption?"

Dave Donnelly

Banks Forced to Forgive Credit Card Debt
Find Out How Much of Your Debt Can Be Erased.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d18a333a7d2c897994st06duc