b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:45:33 -0600

Hello Bryant:

Thanks for your nice comments.

The issue can be clarified further, by the following inquiry; what exactly
was happening at the nazareth synagogue, saturday morning, december 25, 20
a.d.? (cf., luke 4:16-30 as a general example of the possible type of
synagogue services);

1. Did the synagogue members bring along their individual copies of the
book? Did anyone in nazareth possess a copy other than the synagogue?

2. Did the book consist of more than simply the words of one isaiah?

3. Did the person reading from the book to the congregation, then proceed to
explain what the book passage "really" meant? in another language? in the
same language?

4. Was the book recorded and read to the synangogue members in aramaic? in
hebrew? in greek? the promise of hebrew deliverance from the arameans and
greeks via a greek and aramaic book?

merry christmas

fred burlingame