b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "George Athas" <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:36:18 -0800

George, Fred, et al,

I think that one of the problems we have is the "definition" of "public" as
you
say below. Fred is correct in one sense, the Torah, for that matter the
Tanakh,
was written/copied by priests/scribes/rabbis for primary use by the
priests/scribes/rabbis even when read in the synagogue. You, George, are
correct
that use of the text was in the synagogue which is a wider audience. (This was
paralleled in the Church with Latin in the West and Greek in the East being
limited to scholars, ecclesiastics, etc., from circa 150 AD - 1500 AD). In
fact,
the Torah was to be written, copied, read and taught to ALL Israelites by the
Levites including the priests. It was only after the destruction of the Second
Temple that things changed more dramatically. With no priests nor Levites it
was
left to the rabbis. Subsequently, it appears, that when the Talmud, Mishnah,
Toseftah, etc., were completed (codification of the Oral Law), then they took
the place of the Tanakh even when the Tanakh was read in the synagogue.

The Dead Sea Scrolls show that the Tanakh was copied (except for Esther)
numerous times. The sectarian manuscripts also show the importance of the
written text even within their group. They were not produced for a large
group.

As to the NT use of the OT quotes/allusions, I always remind myself that it is
the LXX, ca. 250 BC, that was primarily used; although the Tanakh was also
used
when necessary. This was because most of the NT was written to
churches/Godfearers/Gentiles/Jews who attended the weekly meetings in the
Diaspora. As far as I can tell, the use of the OT in quotes and allusions are
in
the gospels and epistles that had a large number of Jewish believers in their
assemblies and in which the Gentile believers were to know and learn about
also.
Revelation is a different kettle of fish altogether.

So it is really more of a "both/and" whether than "either/or."

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III