b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A correction about one, two, or three Isaiahs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A correction about one, two, or three Isaiahs
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 09:37:23 -0800

George:

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM, George Athas
<George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> Bryant Williams wrote:
>
> "Conservative scholarship treats Isaiah being produced by one person, the
> prophet Isaiah. Most modern scholarship treats Isaiah as being written by
> two, maybe three persons. It is based on the discredited JEDP theory of
> Graf-Welhausen. SEE archives for previous discussions."
>

> I have a few corrections/comments to make about this.
>
> Firstly, I know many conservative scholars who believe Isaiah is the
> product of at least two or three people. To use the term 'conservative' to
> characterise a position on this is, I believe, not helpful or accurate.
> Perhaps 'traditionalist' is a better term for those who argue for singular
> authorship of Isaiah.

OK, far enough.

I try to avoid using labels in this group because there are different ways
of measuring, hence labeling, different schools of thought, hence scholars
connected with them.

An article detailing different measuring standards is found at
http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Ways_to_recognize_what_is_a_religion .
Looking at the second of the “practical examples”, people who self-label
themselves and are also so labelled by their colleagues as “moderate” or
even “conservative” as measured by one measuring standard, are labelled as
“flaming liberals” by those using a different measuring standard.

We on this group are discussing the Biblical Hebrew language, not to pass
judgment on matters of faith (which includes these theological labels).
Therefore, I think it best not even to bring up these labels.