b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 10:14:40 -0600

Hello Jack:
I trust you are having a nice day 3 of christmas.

I don't mind the falstaff implication of me here ....; though i disagree
....; in any event, i have received much education here; and for that i am
grateful.

And the response to your learned comments:

1. I am not in ארץ ישראל . So, I don't know the haredim. But .... do you
know that the government sponsors the haredim; excuses the haredim from work
and military service. America government also enjoys a large group of people
that the government sponsors; excuses from work and military service. Do you
tag this latter group as fringe element of society? I am sure they and their
government would disagree, in both instances.

2. The haredim may well be experts in and consumers of aramaic. But the
existential question you have deflected. And that remains, does the biblical
hebrew language ("BH") rest comfortably entombed for millennia with the
patriarchs here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_the_Patriarchs

3. Or ..... does BH continue as a language in common use every saturday
morning across ארץ ישראל , in its synagogues? Permit me to suggest the
affirmative answer to that question you have avoided. Permit me to
also suggest that every day התורה is consumed by and amongst the haredim
(and a lot of other people) silently and with sound ....and exclusively in
BH.

4. Your nice reproduction of the encyclopedia judaica excerpt focuses on my
point exactly. The well respected, well credentialed universities and
publishing houses all across america and elsewhere announce continuously the
death, funeral and pleasant burial of BH. My question was, is and continues
to be .... does this nice conclusion of the mainstream err? .... Surely, the
august oxford english dictionary recognizes the error ... its error; others'
error in this regard. The Oxford English Dictionary has receded from the 400
b.c., death, funeral and burial of BH ...; and has moved the funeral date
forwards to 200 a.d. ... What's next? ... The next edition eases the date
out to 750 a.d.? The mainstream universities also recognized the flat earth
as a bald fact for centuries ...; and then, ooops ...

5. I was not present in ארץ ישראל in 10 a.d. The mainstream conclusion that:
since aramaic speaking peoples surrounded the land from the east; and greek
speaking peoples surrounded the land from the west ....; BH was
naturally abandoned and buried. And that conclusion sounds reasonable
enough. But the same circumstances exist today. Arabic speaking peoples
surround the land; and yet for some strange reason, the israelis insist on
speaking modern hebrew on the street and BH in the synagogue. Imagine that.
It seems to me an inference arises that the hebrew resistance to
assimilation now, represents but a continuation of the tradition then, even
in 10 ... a.d.

regards,

fred burlingame