b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lock without a key

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lock without a key
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 10:47:20 -0400

As I see it, the Hebrew root is the consonantal "skeleton" left after a word is stripped of its prepositions and personal pronouns (essentially all vowels). I also remove the letters ALEP, AYIN, and a final HE.

The root is the "semantic kernel" of the word. The root of the word EL (אל) is thus L, 'lofty'. The root of the word AB (אב) is thus B, 'big'. The root of KPAR, KPOR, KPIR and KAPORET, is KPR, 'pile up'. This root is, methinks, a variant of QBR, and KBR, from which we have the word KABIR, 'huge'.

Occasionally it may not be clear if a consonant is radical or a pronoun, for instance, I tend to think that the initial letter T in the tree name TAMAR is the pronoun ATAH (אתה) as in TALMID = TA- LMID, 'student', from the root LMD.

Thanks for referring me to Bohas. I will look at it. French is OK.

Isaac Fried, Boston University