b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lock without a key

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lock without a key
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 06:30:47 -0400

As I have said before, in contrast to English, Hebrew is a root based language, with a resulting vast interconnectivity between different words derived from the same (or similar) root of a very basic meaning. The root חל (a variant of
גל, גלל, הל, הלל, חל, חלל, כל, כלל, קל, קלל)
essentially means 'amass, accumulate'. In Numbers 31:9 חיל refers to the mass of earthly holdings , while in numbers 31:14 it refers to a mass of men.

Consider the the very first biblical verb ברא commonly translated as "created". But can I can get an inkling of its intended meaning only by relating it to the roots פרא, פרה, פרע

Isaac Fried, Boston University