b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lock without a key

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gary Hedrick <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lock without a key
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:02:14 -0500

Translation is always an endeavor of context. We derive meanings from the way
a word is used. It wouldn't make sense, for example, to say that David went
out to battle against so-and-so's "tangible property." Admittedly, it's not
always this clear; but it's usually not rocket science, either.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA