b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lock without a key

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>, "fred burlingame" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lock without a key
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 12:38:07 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
To: "fred burlingame" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
Cc: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:30 AM

As I have said before, in contrast to English, Hebrew is a root based language,
***
I don't know what you mean exactly by "root".
In all cases English and Germanic in general has phenomena similar to Semitic: foot, feet ; long, length ; drink, drank, drunk.

A.
***

with a resulting vast interconnectivity between different
words derived from the same (or similar) root of a very basic meaning. The root חל (a variant of
גל, גלל, הל, הלל, חל, חלל, כל, כלל, קל, קלל)
essentially means 'amass, accumulate'. In Numbers 31:9 חיל refers to the mass of earthly holdings , while in numbers 31:14 it refers to a mass of men.

Consider the the very first biblical verb ברא commonly translated as "created". But can I can get an inkling of its intended meaning only by relating it to the roots פרא, פרה, פרע

Isaac Fried, Boston University
***

You may be interested to read what Bohas says about these word "matrices".

http://books.google.fr/books?id=kULevL4pifMC&dq=bohas+matrices
http://books.google.fr/books?id=b0snLJ8aE_8C&dq=bohas%20matrices

It's in French...

A.