b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • To: klriley AT alphalink.com.au
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:26:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:46:54 +1000, Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
wrote:
> Egyptian kh could not be represented by Greek X until after it had changed
> from an aspirated stop to a fricative.

This is contradicted by the rendering of the Old Kingdom Pharaoh known in
English as Khufu in Greek as Χέοψ/Cheops. Both Cheops and Apries are found
in Herodotus, so why there would be a difference in how Egyptian ḫ/kh is
rendered is not clear.

> That is usually dated to after the time of the LXX.
>
> 'Απριης is what would have been expected up until that time.
>
> On 26/07/2010 10:54 AM, Will Parsons wrote:
> >
> > As to what to make of this, I'm not sure. But, I'll throw out the
> > evidence for what it's worth.

I see you have silently corrected by misspelling. A scholar and a gentleman!

--
Will Parsons