b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • To: fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:05:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:07:27 +0200, "Arnaud Fournet"
<fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>

I have no opinion of the presence or absence of the sound corresponding to
ayin in Coptic. I see no need to postulate that it "fused" with a glottal
stop (which is what I assume you mean by "aleph"). If we ignore the
possible presence of a pharyngial at the end of the word, the Coptic
spelling indicates [re:] with a long vowel. My point was that a
transcription from the 14th century BC cannot be used to claim that "ri`a"
is the pronunciation of the word in the 5th century.

--
William Parsons