b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:35:07 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
To: <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
Cc: <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>; <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:40 PM

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:05:55 +0200, "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr> wrote:

I have a problem with Khepera being compared with Hophra.
The pronunciation kh_p_r is archaic Egyptian. Coptic is palatalized sh_p
Archaic *khapar > Coptic shop
Phonetically something is wrong.

What evidence is there that Egyptian ḫ/kh was pronounced [ʃ] at the time of
Jeremiah? The time between "archaic" Egyption and Coptic stretches over a
lo-o-o-ng time, and I'm unaware of any confusion between ḫ/kh and š/sh in
classical Egyptian.

William Parsons
***

Hieroglyphic Egyptian already has things like kh m m = sh m m "to be hot" which indicates that the tendency to palatalize is very old in the language.
As regards the verb kh p r I don't have an idea when it became palatalized.

Arnaud Fournet