b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:07:27 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
To: <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
Cc: <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>; <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 10:41 PM

You're too quick to claim proof when there is none. The cuneiform letter
you refer to dates to the 18th dynasty, i.e. 14th century BC. "Apries"
dates to time of Herodotus, i.e., 5th century BC. That's nine centuries
between them; no living language doesn't undergo phonetic changes in that
time period, especially vowels. We know the end point of Egyptian rˁ was
Coptic ΡΗ/re, and Coptic is closer in time to Herodotus than the 18th
dynasty. I would say it's highly *unlikely* that rˁ was still pronounced
riˁa at that time.

William Parsons
***

People disagree on the presence or absence of ayin in Coptic.
If we fuse it with aleph, then Coptic probably was either ri' or re' depending on the dialect, quite possibly with a long vowel rather than a short one.
http://www.metalog.org/files/crum/287.gif

Arnaud Fournet